SAN DIEGO, Calif., - July 29, 2002 — Port80 Software, Inc., an innovative developer of software modules for Microsoft's Internet Information Server (IIS), introduces URLSpellCheck for IIS, a new Web server software module that reduces 404 errors by fixing mistyped URLs and links on the fly. The only solution for Windows with URL redirection based on spelling, URLSpellCheck solves the often invisible issues of missing characters, transposed characters, wrong characters, and extra characters to ensure end-users get to the desired page on a Web site.
"Mistyped URLs and links often go unnoticed by developers, administrators and site owners," said Joseph Lima, COO of Port80 Software. "Yet these errors equate to a poor user experience, harm to a company's online brand and untracked lost sales. URLSpellCheck eliminates common URL spelling errors automatically and unobtrusively to provide a better user experience on your Web site."
With URLSpellCheck, complex matches that substitute file names such as filename.htm to filename.asp are also possible, allowing developers to switch site technologies quickly without numerous, time-consuming manual redirects. When multiple matches for a URL are possible, a template showing users the various probable pages is provided rather than a standard 404 error page. Filenames without extensions can be mapped to their correct pages, allowing companies to present very clean and easy to remember deep URLs in their marketing literature. URLSpellCheck can also track common typos so developers can figure out where to add permanent redirects or change page names in their Web sites. The IIS server module does not require major configuration or monitoring.
URLSpellCheck features include:
- Reduce broken links with on the fly URL spell checking
- Fixes common spelling problems
- Extra characters
- Transposed characters
- Wrong character
- Missing characters
- Allows extension changes
- index.html can become index.asp if configuration is selected
- Allows lack-of-extensions corrections without requiring directory usage
- www.xyz.com/products/producta would be directed to www.xyz.com/products/producta.htm
- Allows multiple matches when a typo matches numerous pagea
- Multimatch and error templates can be fully customized to match Web site
- Full logging of typos can be enabled
- Works in a multi-homed or hosting environment
- Full support for virtual servers
- Implemented as super fast ISAPI filter
- MMC snap-in for administration and default settings
- Minimal installation time
- Simple to install/uninstall
URLSpellCheck runs on Windows NT, 2000 and XP with IIS 4.0, 5.0 and 5.1 and is compatible with major third party server-side scripting platforms. URLSpellCheck also supports multiple virtual servers. The new IIS server module is available for a free 30-day trial download and $199.95 ($49.95 as of 1/2003) for a permanent single server license at www.port80software.com.