SAN DIEGO, Calif., - July 9, 2002 — Port80 Software, Inc., an innovative developer of software modules for Microsoft's Internet Information Server (IIS), introduces CacheRight for IIS, a new Web server software module that gives developers detailed, reliable control over browser and proxy caching while removing the burden of cache policy management from Web site administrators. With CacheRight, unchanging images like navigation bars, company logos and product shots can at last be cached correctly -- improving the end-user's experience while dramatically reducing both bandwidth consumption and server load.
"There's no need for users to request the same content over and over when it can be cached," said Joseph Lima, COO of Port80 Software. "Unfortunately, cache control for many developers is limited to using the META tag, a technique that often works poorly for HTML files and does nothing at all for the most cache-worthy items in a site -- images. CacheRight puts the ability to set reliable caching policies for any site content in the hands of site developers."
With CacheRight, developers who want full control over how caching occurs no longer need access to IIS's administrative interface; a simple configuration file in the website's home directory lets them set up rules that control expiration times (and other important cache control information) by file location or type. Images and other objects that should be cached finally can be cached intelligently.
CacheRight features include:
- Promotes caching of binary objects such as images
- Dramatically reduces network chatter due to excessive conditional GET requests and 304 responses
- Frees up server resources
- Reduces overall bandwidth consumption
- Improves responsiveness (perceived speed) of most Web sites
- Puts developers in charge of the cache control policies that affect their content
- Requires no MMC access
- Keeps all cache control rules for a site together in a single text file
- Intuitive, easy-to-master rule statements
- Supports site-wide, directory or file-based caching rules
- Supports rules based on MIME type of requested object
- Validation tool provided for checking syntax of rule statements
- Supports all relevant HTTP 1.0 and 1.1 cache control headers, including Expires and Cache-control (max-age, public/private and no-transform)
- Online diagnostic tool for checking page cachability
- Works in a multi-homed or hosting environment
- Fully supports virtual servers
- Uses ISAPI filter technology for high performance
- Includes MMC Snap-in for administration and default settings
- Simple to install/uninstall
CacheRight runs on Windows NT, 2000 and XP with IIS 4.0, 5.0 and 5.1 and is compatible with major third party server-side scripting platforms. CacheRight also supports multiple virtual servers. The new IIS server module is available for a free 30-day trial download and $149.95 for a permanent single server license at www.port80software.com.