SAN DIEGO, Calif., - July 2, 2002 — Port80 Software, Inc., an innovative developer of software modules for Microsoft's Internet Information Server (IIS), introduces CustomError for IIS, a new Web server software module that takes the mystery & hassle out of deploying custom error pages for Web site developers and frees up Web site administrators and hosting vendors to handle higher level tasks. CustomError allows developers to easily manage error pages and ultimately provides Web site end-users with better designed 404 and other error pages.
"When errors occur, they should be handled properly so the Web site user has options and is not confused," said Joseph Lima, COO of Port80 Software. "Unfortunately, setting up customized error pages in IIS usually requires something many Web developers lack -- access to, and familiarity with, the Web server's MMC interface. With CustomError for IIS, developers can easily add their own error pages to Web sites."
CustomError provides a system for developers to manage error pages. Developers simply place the appropriately-named HTML or script templates in a specified directory of their website and upload them together with their other site files. No administrator intervention is required. Customizing error pages will become a normal part of site design and development with CustomError. Hosting vendors and others who administer multi-host servers no longer have to allow their clients MMC access or worry about configuring multiple sets of error pages themselves.
CustomError features include:
- No MMC access required to set custom errors for IIS sites
- Customizable default "error" directory in each site holds error page templates
- Works with virtual servers so hosting vendors can offer custom errors without administrative or security hassles
- Templates provided showing best error page practices
- Works seamlessly with error handling mechanisms in ColdFusion or ASP
- Implemented as super fast ISAPI filter
- MMC Snap-in for administration and default settings
- Simple to install/uninstall
CustomError runs on Windows NT, 2000 and XP with IIS 4.0, 5.0 and 5.1 and is compatible with major third party server-side scripting platforms. CustomError also supports multiple virtual servers. The new IIS server module is available for a free 30-day trial download and $29.95 for a permanent single server license at www.port80software.com.